Thursday, February 16, 2006

My poor baby girl


I'm sick to my stomach tonight
Originally uploaded by ddurbin123.
this is the last picture I was able to get before I accidently stepped on my little Ginny... OH MY GOD! I feel sick about it.

I knew it was bad right away. She was SCREAMING and scuttled under the kitchen table.

I was able to get at her and it was pretty apparent immediately that there was something wrong with her front leg. I had NO IDEA of where to take an injured pet for emergency treatment. I called my vet clinic and of course all of the vets had left and they were closing and and the person who answered the phone was no help.

I did a yahoo search for vets in my area and called the first one listed. He couldn't help, but he gave me the number to a hospital in Downers Grove. I called them up to make sure they had x-ray capabilities, which they did, and got to the car and made my way to DG.

The little baby must have been in shock. She didn't make a noise most of the way there and either drooped her head over my finger or nuzzled her head under my chin...

So after the x-rays the Doctor said she had broke her "elbow" and that the only chance of her having a functional leg was surgery. On one hand I was glad that she didn't have any internal injuries and that her life wasn't in jeopardy. On the other hand, I now faced that moral dilema that I never wanted to face and make a decision that my wife had always made clear her opinion on.

I called my wife, but she wouldn't help me make the decision "do what you think is best". OK....

So, Ginny is scheduled for orthopeodic surgery tommorow morning to have a plate and pins put in her leg. There's a 75% chance for full recovery and fortunately I stumbled upon a hospital that has 3 ortho's that have done this procedure.

This is alot of $$$ and fortunately I have the means, however painful it is, to do this. My wife had poked fun or criticized people for doing this when we saw such stories on Animal Planet.

I just couldn't make the decision to leave her lame, or put her to sleep (not an option) if the chances were as high as they are for her to live a mostly normal life.

This was the perfect topper to an already rotten day.

No comments: