Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ambien - the sleep inhibitor

My doctor decided to prescribe Ambien last week to help me get to sleep, but not be groggy the next morning. As it's supposed to be fast acting, I took one about 30 minutes before bed Sunday night. Rather than falling into a restful sleep, a wave of pain seized my skull that is just now beginning to relent. In addition to the vice-grip on my head, I experienced a heightened sense of smell with intense nausea. I don't know if the nausea came from my dog like smell senses, or the racking head ache, but any one of the three symtoms sucked alone. As I write this I feel the headache creeping back and my stomach flopping like a beached perch.

From now on I will be prescribing my own sleep aid. Liquor.

2 comments:

beetle said...

So sorry that you had a bad reaction. When I can't sleep and it's essential that I do so, I resort to OTC allergy meds. Actifed and Benedryll both do it for me. Knocks me right out. And I'm not terribly zombie-like the next morning. I even told my shrink (at the time) that I was using them for that purpose and she didn't seem overly concerned.
In any case, careful with the alcohol. Especially if you're on other meds.

beetle said...

Hope all is well with you.