Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What's your perspective?

One of the things we learned in basic philosophy is self-centric perspective. Meaning, no matter how hard you try, you always see, interpret, process things from your own unique point of view. This thought blew me away when I was but a wee college freshman. Imagine, my interpretation of blue may be different than your interpretation of blue, but since we were conditioned to recognize a specific light wave refraction as blue, we both identify that refraction as blue. But what if your blue is my red? Bizarre I know, but deal with it.

How does this concept effect our lives? Perception is everything and perception is reality. And we are stuck with the fact that we perceive those around us from our own unique point of view. Have you ever wondered why something is so easy for you to comprehend, that it should make perfect common sense, yet someone else you thought you knew is totally oblivious to something you think is standing out like a pink elephant?

One man's garbage is another man's treasure? Coke or Pepsi? Fish or Beef?

So self centric perception is probably deeper than taste in food or decor.

What I think I'm really getting at is how self-centric perception effects our relationships. Brains in this regard are wired differently from person to person.

How can married people, living much of their lives together not understand each others moods, feellings, likes, dislikes? How does this happen? In so many instances couples live together for years never truely understandng their partners. Their perceptions of how their spouses feel, think and behave is their own. Not their partners. Seems to make sense, but think about it. My perception of how you feel, and who you are is uniquely mine. Only through you communicating with me specifically about how you feel and who you are, can I modify this perception based upon your perception of the same thing. And because I'm again perceiving your interpretation, this communication may not be interpreted how you intended it to be. So you may (probably likely) need to re-communicate your point of view several times in several different manners to have any true impact on moving my perception towards yours.

If you're married, or in a relationship, what are you doing to improve your perception of your partner? What are you doing to help them better understand who you are, what you like, don't like? Don't assume that their perception is how you'd like it to be. It's theirs, and theirs alone, and the only way for you to impact it is to share yours.

Yeah, listen to me. Self-appointed relationship expert. What a crock. But what I tell you here is true, regardless of how well, or poorly I've applied it myself. Deal with it.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I thought of that concept (different preception of colors) in 7th grade art. It has always been an example that I've thought of while talking about the self-centric perspective. The concept is mind boggling.

Dave said...

i guess some seeds take root :-)