Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Lifetime

What's your earliest childhood memory? Can you remember how old you were? For me, those memories cannot be associated with an age, so I don't know which of them came before the others.

I remember drive-in movies with my parents and drinking from a sippy cup, so I must have been really young, perhaps 2 or 3. I remember a very attractive blond woman with a turquoise miniskirt. No idea how old I was - also very little - perhaps 2 or 3.

I have many memorys from age 4 on though. Not sure why. Perhaps it has something to do with starting school.

What do you remember of elementary school, jr high, high school and college? Something fondly and not-so-fondly.

Elementary school:
Good:
2nd grade:Having a crush on my teacher Ms. Anderson.
3rd grade: Having a crush on Jo Ann Dean and another girl, red head, can't remember her name. My friend Chris Kean.

Bad:
3rd/4th grade: Randy Best. Always got into fights with him.
Norman (and his psycho family) from across the street and the wierd shit that went on over there.

Jr. High:
Good:
Sports: Basketball, baseball, track. And music: started playing drums in orchestra. Went to the Northwest Iowa honors vocal something or other.

Bad:
Learning how life works in small town Iowa and learning that I wasn't in the "in" crowd.
Being 6'3" in 6th grade made me a prime target for everyone to prove how tough they were.
Listening to my parents scream at each other from bed at night.
Feeling like nobody would ever love me.

High School:
good:
Sports, orchestra, friends, girlfriends
- almost making the state basketball tournament. making the all-iowa team (3rd string :-P)
- canoing down the maple river with my girlfriend
- fishing with my buds
- drinking with my buds

bad:
- not having any money
- having crap cars ($100 junkers)
- dad telling me too much information about his sex life

College:
good:
- my instructors becoming my mentors, the head of the math dept. i still talk to
- the nuns and father john - what inspirational and supporting people they were
- fishing and walking with my wife and kids near gavins point dam in south dakota

bad:
- having to work 3 jobs, raise 2 kids, be married and go to school
- having to quit basketball and baseball to work


I'm rambling, but I don't care.

No comments: