Thursday, January 20, 2005

What's up with depression?

I did a bit of blog surfing tonight. There are a lot of depressed people at the ole blogspot, especially girls/women, although I stumbled across a few depressed young men too. So I'm wondering; is this historically typical? Are there more depressed people today than in years past? Is this a product of the media, drug manufacturers and doctors? It does seem that this phenomenon is indiscriminate too. People with money and possessions have it. People with nothing to their names have it. I wonder too if this is something that is cultural? Are there many depressed people in the Sudan? Iraq? Switzerland?

What did people do 50, 100, 300 years ago about depression? Life had to be much more effort, if not more difficult then. Did someone kick em in the ass and tell them to get on with it? Did they become drunks and drifters or just trudge along? We, in the industrialized world at least, certainly have more time to contemplate the pros and cons of life than our predecessors and those in undeveloped countries.... or maybe not?

Certainly depression seems to be tied to identity, or lack thereof. These folks aren't happy with their current situations, be it work, family, looks, activities, boyfriend, girlfriend... ok, everything. Yet they don't know how to change anything or feel powerless to do so. Why is this? Has it always been this way? Has it gotten worse?

I wonder; are busy people less likely to be depressed than idle people? It does seem true that lonely people are more prone to be depressed. Are they lonely because they're depressed, or depressed because they're lonely?

I do believe that idle hand are the devils tools. I believe that comfort can be found amongst others, be it friends or strangers. I think that the sense of community, at least in much of America, is less than it was in the past. Traditional institutions that fostered this sense have changed. Our schools, churches, families, home towns are all very different today. The invasion of television (all 80 channels), video games, and the Internet have radically affected our society (God I sound like an old curmudgeon). I believe that the changing roles in society of men and women have us befuddled at times.

I think that people are under a tremendous amount of pressure. How much of this is self generated? I also think that some people are energized by helping others, while some people can only be moved when being helped.

Do people not reach out because they think they will be taken advantage of? Will they be? Do people who reach out to others really just want to take advantage of people?

It makes me think of the movie City Slickers, when Curly told Mitch (Billy Crystal) that the rest of the stuff in life means nothing if you know the "one thing" that is the meaning of life. When Mitch asks what that "one thing" is, Curly tells him that it's something he has to figure out for himself. (Severely paraphrased of course)

I think a lot of us are looking for that "one thing". For me, I'm happiest when I'm in the service of others. It sounds corny and creepy, but it's true. It's probably why I drifted to consulting so early in my career and why I've been doing it for so long. Helping others feels good to me. I don't know if that's my "one thing" or not. There are times when I feel like something's missing. But I'm saddest when I'm alone, so I try not to be.

So, what to do with all the depressed people? Hmmm....

I guess I'll keep reaching out. I'm pretty sure that most people that post their problems really don't want to hear some creepy stranger spout words of encouragement, but on the other hand, it's kind of like street beggars. Most of my contributions won't help, but maybe there's one that will. Maybe one day, one will reach back when I need it. In the meantime there's always Paxil.





No comments: