Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Last weekend

I've fallen behind on journaling so this is a bit of catch up work.

Friday 10/27/2006

Friday was chilly and gloomy. No good for photo taking. I canceled my weekly staff meeting since most of my staff was either at a customer working or on vacation. Instead, I spent the day racing to submit training requirements for the staff and dealing with corporate politics. I was able to spend a little time on our E-Myth business development too.

After getting home I watched part of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre with my daughter and the dogs My wife had also ordered Chinese for delivery. :-)




Saturday 10/28/2006

I couldn't have been happier to wake up to sunny and clear skies Saturday morning. It turned out that my daughter had a confirmation retreat that afternoon and I said that I'd take her to it. After some odds and ends I set out for downtown Naperville to take some photos. I'm convinced there isn't a better downtown area in the Chicago suburbs, with the Riverwalk, shops, and restaurants not to mention the frequent events that the township and merchants hold.

I spent the first part of the morning strolling along the Riverwalk and taking pictures. It's so nice to walk along, greeting strangers with a smile and taking everything in.







As I was walking back to my car I noticed a lot of kids in costume with their parents heading toward the downtown area... It turns out that there was a "Trick or Treat" thing happening with the downtown merchants. Being the photohound I am, I found a great place to watch and catch some shots. I am blown away by how many families participate in these events... I think it's great, even though some of the participants didn't exactly look thrilled. Sometimes the parents were flustered, other times the kids had had enough.




It was getting close to noon by now so I called home to make sure my daughter was getting ready for the retreat. I was surprised when my wife answered the phone as I expected her to be at the barn with the horse. She said she'd make sure my daughter was getting ready and that she'd be at the stable by then so I could pick my daughter up and take her to church. I snapped a couple of additional pictures with the extra little time and made my way back home.

Now home I let the pups outside for a spell and made sure the future confirmee was ready to go. I was pleased that she didn't put up a fuss and delivered her to the church on time. Not knowing or remembering the drill, I went in with her to learn that she'd be there until the 5 o'clock mass and I said that I'd return and be at the mass with her.

On the return home I decided to take my Australian Shepherd, Harry out on an afternoon adventure with me. I asked my 13 year old son if he'd like to join us, and of course he declined.

I no more than reached into the drawer in the laundry room for his leash when he began to dance and mewl in anticipation of a w-a-l-k. I grabbed the leash and miniature garbage pale containing the doggy bags and headed out the door with my sidekick.

I decided to return to downtown Naperville and walk along the riverwalk again. By this time, about 2:00 pm the costumed kids had cleared out and had been replaced by the ever present shoppers and strollers.

Harry was thrilled to be be out and about and as we people, goose and duck watched from the banks of the DuPage river.









We had a great day together, Harry and I. He truly enjoyed the walk and extra attention he received by passers by. Having spent about 3 hours strolling the riverwalk and making a loop through down we decided to load up and head home so I could clean up and get to mass.


Mass was awesome. I sat in the last row behind a young family with 5 children all under the age of 10; 3 boys and 2 girls. The love between the kids and parents as evident and a real boost for me. I wanted to tell the father what a beautiful family he had, but I thought that would come across as creepy so I didn't do it.

The Gospel reading was Mark Chapter 10 versus 46-52 about Jesus healing the blind man along the road outside of Jericho.

1 They came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging.
On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, son of David, have pity on me."
And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me."
Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage; get up, he is calling you."
He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus.
Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see."
Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you." Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.
The parish Priest is not emotive, but his faith is evident to me. He related to us, in short, that sight was just not simply a physical healing, but also a spiritual one. I want to see... I want to see the path...

I made chicken, pasta and green beans for supper and it was yummy.
Sunday 10/29/2006

How happy was I to see another sunny day? Well... not as happy as I might have thought, however I set out anyway for another day of adventure. For some reason I just couldn't see... I couldn't find the beauty I wanted to capture. I drove about and listened to my audio books searching... thinking... "Am I burned out on photography? On adventure? Why do I continue to do this?'





I wanted to get some covers for the rose bushes so as I drifted I looked for a garden shop to get my rose covers.

I was listening to the Bears kick the crap out of the 49'ers and behold, as I am making my way back home I drive through Downers Grove and discover a parade! I find a place to park, got a cup of decaf Caribou coffee and located a strategic place on the street.






We never had Halloween parades when I was young... at least not that I remember.

I got the rose covers, but everyone was sold out of wire stakes and I only had a few left from putting up the chicken wire fencing earlier in the summer. I put up four covers and cut back the roses, butterfly bushes, hibiscus and other plants that needed to be cut back.

That's what my weekend was like... how was yours?

No comments: