Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday, Bears, Deer, Dogs, Oh my

Sunday, October 8 2006

I got a great night sleep last night... which is a fantastic switch from a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it is being off of the Wellbutrin, having just returned from a great vacation, or just pure luck, but I'll take it

I rose at a decent time, about 8:30am, caught up on emails, and comments on my blogs. I was happily surprised to have received a response to an email I'd sent to my son in the Marines stationed in Iraq. I'd sent him a heartfelt letter about a month ago, and he replied with an equally heartfelt response. I don't know where this leaves things with us, but it was a nice way to begin the day.

I played with the dogs, made a sausage and egg breakfast and prepared for the day. Lisa and I had talked about taking the kids out, but nothing was planned. The leading candidate was to go fossil hunting in the Mazone area south of Wilmington, about a 45 minute drive. Lisa called one of her horse friends (not a horse, but a friend with a horse) and headed out to the stable about 10:30. Knowing it would be a few hours before she returned, I asked the kids if they wanted to go to the Oktoberfest with me. The response was a resounding "NO", so I decided to go by myself.

I made a quick stop at Kohls and bought a couple of new shirts, and was treated to an additional 15% off on top of the 50% off, so I got 2 nice shirts for about $25. I put one on, as I didn't like the shirt I was wearing, and proceeded downtown to see how the German festivities were coming along.

The tent erected for Oktoberfest was on a city parking lot, and was much less crowded today than it was last night. It turns out it was "Family Day" so many couples had brought their kids. I had a great time just watching the joy of these families enjoy their time together, some dancing in no formal step, some dining on Brats and German Roasted chicken, while others were gathered around the plasma screen television broadcasting the Bears rout of the Bills. Mother Goose was even in the "house"!


Having finished my beer, a Becks Oktoberfest, I decided I should return home to see if Lisa had also returned and get the kids ready to bag a fossil or two. I had parked my car on the fourth floor of one of the two city parking lots, which gave me a great view of the northern side of downtown Naperville. In fact, one of my favorite spots to shoot sunsets is on the top floor of this garage. Just outside the lot are some trees which were hosting some small birds and I was lucky enough to capture one of these sparrows before I left.


I also snapped off a couple of shots of the downtown area from the window of the car :-)


I arrived home about 1:30pm and found that Lisa wasn't home yet, and the kids were in the basement on their computers.

I let the dogs outside, as Ginny and Dakota stay in their crates when not being attended to. I flipped on the Bears game and made a quick lunch of hot dogs, which the kids turned their noses up to.

The Bears mopped up on the Bills, final score, 40-7... Da Bears!

I decided to shoot some quick shots in the back yard... speaking of dogs... we're beginning to think that Dakota is an Australian Terrier rather than a Silky Terrier. He's much heavier than Ginny and his hair is course, while hers is silky smooth. The Silky is a mix of the Australian and Yorkshire Terriers. Ginny matches the AKC description of the Silky... Dakota matches the AKC description of the Australian Terrier. It doesn't matter much to me in the end... the important thing is to know how large he's suppose to get, and what his breed genetics indicate for temperment and disease. If he is an Australian, he'll be about 50% heavier than Ginny, which I would bet he already is. Either way I love the little dude. He's a cool dog, as are all three of them.


Do you realize how hard it is to capture a butterfly in flight? Those suckers can fly up to 35 miles per hour and change direction constantly...



About 4pm I decided it was too late to get anywhere significant, and I asked the kids again if they'd go out with me. Austin said he wanted to play with the neighbor kid... Erin declined all offers and options... meh...

I decided to return to Oktoberfest for a couple more beverages, then lite out for a local forest preserve.

There were more people in the tent this time, but not a crowd. The kids were a hoot, bouncing, jumping in off-beat rhythms to the polka and waltzes played by the band.




Having finished a few more Becks Oktoberfests, I departed and drove to the Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve, conveniently located on my route home. As I neared the entrance to the park I spied a large hawk perched upon a park sign. I parked and hoped that the bird would still be there, despite the odds, by the time I was able to hike to that location. Happily for me, it was!



Being about 5:30, I had some time before sundown, so I picked up a seldom used path through the park to walk and see what I could see.


I love nature. There's a calming effect of the wind through the grass, the sounds of the birds and insects from their invisible nests. Even at, or maybe especially at dusk wildlife emerges. Movement in my periphery causes me to stop and find someone staring at me. I stare back.







I found myself without a path after a while of walking, and with the sun approaching the horizon, I didn't want to turn my back to it and walk back, so I began to go "off-road" and hike through the weeds in hopes of getting a few good shots off and of stumbling across a different path back to the parking lot.





Ultimately I did come upon the path which would lead me past the radio airfield. I came across a couple sitting on a bench enjoying the sunset with their yellow lab mix. The older gentleman asked if I'd gotten any good shots, to which I replied positively. I lingered to pet the dog and chat with them about the park. They told stories of seeing coyotes and/or wolves during winter months. They were surprised to hear about the number of white tailed deer I'd come across on my hike, as well as the owl that I'd not been able to get a clean photo of. We talked for at least 20 minutes, at which time another couple with a rat terrier mix arrived and doggy introductions ensued. I bid them good night, snapped off a couple more shots. and returned to the car.





Well, another weekend is behind me and I feel that I did the best I could to enrich myself as well as reach out. The money raised by Oktoberfest will be put to good by the Rotary club. Tips at the bar go to Loaves and Fishes. I had interesting conversations with complete strangers. I was able to spend time with my daughter shopping, and my wife last night.

I believe I'll sleep well tonight, and I'm looking forward to meeting the day tommorow.

Bless you all. I'm proud and privileged to have you in my life.


No comments: