Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Human kind has no limit...

to finding ways to kill time chasing useless pursuits. I've come to this conclusion after a sliding back into a fit of genealogical hysteria recently. I was able to track down some things I didn't have before; my grandfathers WWI draft registration, my great-great grandfathers Civil War pension application for two. But now I'm wondering what the hell? Why have I spent so much time attempting to uncover the tangled web of my family lineage? Dammit! The last time I went to see my Grandmother was... well... a long time ago. If I am so interested in my family you'd think I'd at least go visit the ones that are still living, wouldn't you? I guess I did get an email from a cousin I hadn't heard from in years because of my new finds, but DAMMIT anyway!

So, I've determined that things like genealogy and surfing the web are the symptoms of two of my basic characteristics (duh). 1) I'm bored as hell, and 2) I'm curious bordering on nosy.

I've fashioned these idiosyncrasies as things like "I'm a history buff", and "I like to wind down after work", which may have some hint of truth to them.

But I am snoopy/curious/nosy beyond explaination and the Internet has only exacerbated my condition. I guess you could argue that knowledge is power, and that knowing who and what you're involved with and in is smart. Perhaps it is. But sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

No comments: