Sunday, December 26, 2004

I hate computers

Actually, I hate PCs. I like the Sun systems I sell and install at work.

My wife bought Doom III, Halo 2, and Roller Coaster Tycoon III for the kids this Christmas, in addition to the billion + Game Cube, Xbox, and PS2 games they received. One problem though. The kid's computers don't have the graphics requirements to run these games. SO, I trecked to Best Buy and bought 3 ATI Radeon 9550 cards for a total of nearly $400.

The good news is that the card works in my oldest son's computer. The bad news is that it cannot even be installed in the other 2 computers. Now, these 2 computers are older, but not ancient. They we both bought around 1999, and are 500 MHz Intel Pentium III. There is a slot for the video card in them, but apparently it's not an AGP slot.

While I'm at it, I really had PCs. I said that already. I'm not even sure if it would matter if the video cards worked in their PCs since the kids have so buggered them up with spyware. I swear, if I ever meet someone that would actually admit to writing spyware or virus's I'd wring their necks. So, I'm removing Internet Explorer in leieu of Netscape. I'm loading Spybot Search and Destroy. Installing Cybersitter (even though they've figured out how to get around this). And searching for a virus protection package that will actually work. One of these days I'll find a proxy/content filter device that I actually like.

So, now I have 1 installed, 1 not installed but the box is open, and 1 neither installed nor openned. I also have 2 disappointed kids, with computers that won't run their new games. Not to mention the shit load of time I wasted chasing this around.

No comments: