Monday, December 13, 2004

Steak, shrimp, karaoke, and a dozen vodka tonics

We had our company Christmas party this weekend. What a blowout! The cocktails were flowing from the start. I think I kept my composure, at least through dinner, where the conversation flowed from someones soon-to-pop pregnant wife, natural horsemanship and dressage, pheasant hunting in South Dakota, my sudden entry into the world of Grandfather-dom, and how wonderful everyone looked.

Much to my chagrin, I mowed through the steak and shimp and was onto a couple more vodka tonics before our fearless leader proclaimed that we were to have fun and "let our hair down". OK.

Even though it seemed like minutes, I spent the next 4 hours singing songs that I don't and would never own, drinking more vodka tonics, and hugging co-workers exclaiming "You're the Best!" and "I love you man!".

Highlights of the evening include, in no particular order:

  • "You've lost that loving feeling", sung in four part disharmony
  • Being told how great I looked and that I was too skinny last year
  • "Little Red Corvette", not so much for the singing but the grooving in front of all of my office mates and their significant others
  • "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", sung with the ladies in the office and some wives!
  • One of our sales rep's crazy moves, to every song, then entire night
  • Witnessing how much fun everyone (except someone's new girlfriend) was having
  • "Margarritaville" with one of by buds and his hunney!
And just when I was getting into things, the bar closed and the DJ started packing up. From what I can remember, the night was a success. Nobody puked, I didn't grope anyone (that I remember), and my head stopped hurting before noon the next day.

2 comments:

Chishiki Lauren said...

Sounds like entertainment to me. The real test of party success...how many people kept their clothes on?

Dave said...

LOL - there were some threats, but the bar closed too early for anything to come to fruition ;-)