Sunday, December 05, 2004

You're going to be bored, and like it.

That's pretty much the mantra of my life right now, and based upon what I've been reading on blogspot lately, I've got good company.

I've struggled to find interesting blogging. There's alot of poetry, but I'm not into poetry right now. There are also alot of people that use blogging to hone their literary skills. I guess I have an appreciation for being succint, so those blogs don't interest me much either.

I've run across a couple of interesting people like here and here. There's also this one.

I like to hit the "next blog" button to browse the logs. There are alot of non-English pages. I wish I could somehow filter those out, as I am linguistically challenged. Then there are the blogs that re-write their template and remove the button, which forces me to go back, then forward again.

Once in a while, I run into someone that seems troubled, and I'm inclined to offer my 2 cents (which is about exactly what my opinion's usually worth).

Of course, there's the blogs that are nothing but RSS feeds. I hate these. They're a complete waste.

But, of course, the only reason I'm e-thumbing through blogs and writing this peice of crap is that I'm so totally BORED.

I've been working for about 20 years now. I've been a partner in 2 companies for the last 12 years. The work is interesting most of the time, but the work load is overwhelming most of the time and it's hard to find good help. I don't know that I dislike my job, I just can't get away from it. I have no escapes right now, which is bad.

This summer I tried to get back into golf after giving it up for a number of years. I even took lessons once a week and went to the driving range every day. By the end of the summer, I had regressed so much I couldn't even finish a round. Before golf, I experimented for about a year or more with selling stuff on E-Bay. It passed the time and I made some extra money, but after a while it just became a chore, so I dropped that.

I have a really nice bass boat. Of course, you can't fish with it in December in Illinois, but I haven't used it once in the last two summers. What a waste. My kids aren't interested in it. Neither is my wife really. Every time I get a fishing buddy, he gets married or gets a girlfriend and suddenly can't go anymore.

I've gotten bored with exercise too. This is probably the worst thing. A healthy diet and regular exercise helps keep the spirit up.

I'm bored with the neighbors. Not really. I don't really know them. I grew up in a small town and I've never been terribly comfortable with suburban life. It's always seemed snooty. I don't know why we don't fit in. Maybe it's that I'm busy with work alot. But I'm home every night and every weekend, so it's not like I'm never around.

My life is a drag and I don't know what to do about it. I hate sitting around doing nothing. I want to get out and really live. I feel like I'm going through the motions, chasing this elusive thing called retirement and financial security. Is life supposed to suck until these things are achieved? I don't believe so. Will things really be better when they are achieved? Can I really change my lifestyle or am I stuck? What if I don't live that long? Or what if my health deteriorates? Or what if I never achieve the financial success I'm chasing?

What do people do for fun? Go to dinner? See ball games? Landscape? I like to do alot of things but I feel like I'm anchored to the house and family.

Maybe I'm just going nuts. I can't sleep. Shit. Now my blog looks like everyone elses. This sucks.

No comments: