Monday, December 06, 2004

May the force be with him

I received a call from my oldest son tonight. He's in the Marines and was heading to the "dock" to start his overseas deployment. At least 6 months on the USS Duluth. From what he tells me, he won't be seeing any "action" as his job mostly keeps him on the ship, but it seems that as a Marine, his orders change frequently so nothing is certain. He sounded sad. He got married last month, which has understandably changed his perspective on things. On one hand, getting married is going to create alot of stress for him while he's gone. On the other hand, it will give him something to focus on; coming home.

So, while he's doing a man's job, in many ways he's still a child in my eyes. I hope he has the resolve to be focussed on his job and to make wise choices while he's away.

May the force be with him.

No comments: