Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I'm done with NCC womens basketball for a while


Panic, concern, or alertness?
Originally uploaded by ddurbin123.
North Central College (67) vs. Calvin College (77)

So I watched a basketball game tonight that was a perfect example of why effort alone doesn't win in sports. It's all about execution.

It's really a bit suprising that this game was as close as it was for most of the game. NCC was dominated in the low post on both ends of the court. Calvin was able to get the ball behind NCCs defense consistantly in both half court and on fast break opportunities. I don't know why NCC chose to front the low post on defense as there was virtually no weak side help. And even when there was, which wasn't much, it's not hard for tall forwards to shoot over small guards. It seems to me that would be better to guard the entry pass from behind and make the opponent shoot over a tall defender, but what do I know.

NCC was pretty patient on offense for most of the game, with the exception of the low post and the entire team in the last 5 minutes. When their low post player (unnamed here but obvious to anyone that watches this team) gets the ball it's like watching a bull in a china cabinet. And dammit anyway, whatever happened to getting in rebounding position? You don't have to be able to jump to get rebounds! Just get in good position for God's sake. I couldn't count the number of times Calvin got uncontested rebounds. Sad really.

And in the last five minutes NCC's shot selection went to hell. What was a good effort, albeit poorly executed, became very difficult to watch at the end and therefor a very close game became a 10 point loss for the home team.


So why am I done with womens basketball for now? Well, at NCC it's me, a handful of students and parents in the stands. I'd guess 50-100 people. I get alot of odd looks, as I'm one of the few taking pictures.... I get the feeling the bubble subtitle over their heads is, "hey, who's the pervert". I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and I actually do enjoy watching live sporting events. I'll go to NCC mens games, and will probably go to another womens NCC game before the season's over, but for now I'll pick bigger venues and programs. BTW, I do kinda want to go see what U of C does to NCC this week, but I probably won't go

No comments: