Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Late Fall Moon


Late Fall Moon
Originally uploaded by ddurbin123.
So, I was pondering things today, as I'm apt to do. Basically, what is the difference between living and existing in terms as a person's being.

The dictionary is no help as there are numerous definitions for both that paint the terms in broad strokes.

As far as I see it, existing takes on the definition of continuing to be, saying nothing of one's quality of life.

By strict definition, as relating to humans, living would mean the same thing. This seems like a waste of language and just wrong. Living should imply an improved quality of life over mere existance and it is living that I desire.

I suppose many people have these reflections at my age (just turned 40 in Sept), however given each of our egocentric situations, recognizing other's problems doesn't really help me through mine. It is true though that misery does love company but company shuns misery.

I love what photography has given me, mostly a reason to get out and see things which I have enjoyed. However one thing that brings me down, that I suppose shouldn't, is seeing so many people laughing, smiling, loving, and enjoying themselves with the people around them. It brings on a terribly lonesome feeling to watch this, but I crave to see it again and again.

It is voyeuristic, but in someways watching and photographing people is as beautiful as the trees, flowers and sunsets I shoot. Each person, captured in a moment tells a story of deep thought, sorrow, joy, companionship and love. They are living.

I exist.

No comments: