Thursday, December 01, 2005

North Central College vs. Benedictine

I woke up late this morning, as I have been doing regularly since increasing the Effexor dosage. My first stop was a customer meeting and I was completely bored with it. I then grabbed some lunch, and started a new audio book, The Face, by Dean Koontz. I usually park my car and eat in a place which might yield some candids, but none materialized today. After eating I made my way to the office and trudged my way to the office where I slogged through getting caught up on some things that have been sliding for a while. About 5:30pm I just had to get out of the office, which meant I didn't get out until 6pm. Of course it's pitch dark outside at this time now. Not feeling like going home, nor driving around, I decided to catch a local college basketball game.

I grabbed some cash from the nearest ATM and proceeded to the North Central College Annex, since I knew they were playing Illinois Benedictine in basketball tonight. I must say that I was suprised to find that there were damn few fans in attendance. Not having ever been to a local college basketball game before I had no idea what to expect. Most of the players surely played before larger crowds in high school, as there couldn't have been more than 150 people in the portable bleachers that lined one side of the court.

The game was a blow out, the crowd was lethargic, but overall it was still entertaining, as I had hoped it would be. NCC ran out to a large early lead, scoring 10 or 12 unanswered points. They had over a 20 point lead at half time and by the fourth quarter the benches had been cleared and the starters were cooling their heels. NCC eventually won by 26 points, so I can't say that the game was particularly competative. The Benedictine players (one in particular) were very frustrated toward then end and it started to get a little rough, which was mildly entertaining itself.

I don't know if I'll attend another NCC basketball game. I suppose if it were a closer game, the atmosphere would have had a little more energy.

I had thought of going to the DePaul/Creighton game, which may have been a better bet, but I acted too late on tickets.... I'll try to plan ahead a little better next time...

No comments: