Monday, December 19, 2005

In loving memory


In loving memory
Originally uploaded by ddurbin123.
Grandma Katy passed away Saturday. We hadn't seen her in the last several years. In fact, the last time my wife visited her grandmother, Katy didn't recognize her other than saying "I'm related to you, aren't I?".

Alzheimers Disease is a cruel killer, and Grandma fought it hard.

I only knew her the last 22 years of her life. She was a proud woman, maticulous of her appearance. She was also very proper in the presence of company, but my wife tells stories of her running through the back yard of their farm with the grandkids in her nylons.

I'm so happy for my wife to have so many good memories of her grandparents. Many of us don't have that grace bestowed upon us.

We learned recently that Grandma had been diagnosed with breast cancer also. In a way, her sudden passing is a blessing, sparing her from the suffering of that dreaded disease, which could not easily be treated at her age, on top of Alzheimers.

God bless you Grandma Katy. Sleep as tight as you can pinch.

No comments: